Spice Merchants in Kerrytown shops is one of those places that, by the time I finally went in, I had walked past a dozen times and never went in for some reason. I ventured in there with my friend Lisa a little while back thinking it would be the perfect place to get a dry rub for the roasted chicken we were going to make for dinner that night.
AND IT WAS.
We got the Tuscan blend in a baggie which was just enough to go over the 4 pound chicken we got. Just rubbed some olive oil on the chicken then sprinkled the spice blend on.
It also has a good size wall of loose teas as well. I knew I wanted some the second that I saw it. I picked out, based on smell alone, 2 ounces of a caffeine-free rooibos called Orange Creamsicle. Its smell reminds me of the Flintstones push-ups pops I used to get when I was little.
Didn’t I just mention spice bulk bins in People’s Food Co-op? Yea…. however, I do intend to go to Spice Merchants for some things. They have a lot of different varieties of spices and rubs that aren’t at regular stores. I mean, seriously, there are 26 different kinds of pepper listed on their website.
Oh, and some pictures, of course. Compliment of Lisa.
A Line-Up of Some of the Spices
Smell first, then buy
A Very Colorful Tea
Recipe for home-made carnival food? Would love to try!
2/5: Super Bowl 5k (Novi, MI)
3/11: Shamrocks & Shenanigans 5k (Ann Arbor, MI)
4/14: Martian Marathon 10k (Dearborn, MI)
4/29: Road's End 5 Mile (Pinckney, MI)
5/5: Capitol City Half Marathon (Columbus, OH)
5/20: Back to Beaches 5k (Shelby Twp, MI)
6/9: Flirt with Dirt 10k (Novi, MI)
8/4: The Legend Trail Half Marathon (Lansing, MI)
10/21: Free Press Marathon (Detroit/Windsor)
- Ran 4 miles in 44 mins and felt great. .75 @ 5.5mph (0.75) 1.0 @ 6.5mph (1.75) 1.0 @ 5.8mph (2.75) .25 @ 6.7mph (... bit.ly/19vFQpl 3 years ago
- @bigmaninjapan @flintskinny @joshgondelman I lost since I picked Gonzaga because I liked their name. 4 years ago
- RT @GameOfThrones: The Lannisters have hit the red carpet. #GameOfThrones #WesterosVIP instagr.am/p/XBT-hhQdms/ 4 years ago
- @mtupyro I always thought Mewtwo was kinda creepy looking. But thanks, now I want to go home and play Pokemon. 4 years ago
- @LittlestKoi the really passive-aggressive way is a note on her window, the less passive-aggressive way is to tell the manager at Starbucks. 4 years ago